iPod Full Body Invisible Shield

August 10th, 2006

After removing the invisible shield screen protector on my iPod, I applied the full body shield which covers just under 100% of the iPod’s surface. Once again, I’ve been very impressed with the results!

I am most pleased with the ability of the back cover shield to prevent fingerprint stains. If you’ve always hated the way the back metal casing of your iPod attracts fingerprints, the invisible shield will definitely put an end to this while at the same time protecting it from scratches in a way that no iPod case will.

The shield also covers the click wheel. And contrary to what I initially thought, the click wheel is just as touch sensitive with the shield on as it was without.

However, it may be worth noting that the full body shield covers all surfaces except:

1. The small areas in each of the four corners on the back metal casing
  2. The area around the hold switch and the ear phone socket
  3. The area around the dock connector port

You can see this for yourself in the close up pictures below.

Also worth noting is the fact the the top surface (the face with the click wheel) is slightly more reflective with the shield on than without. You can probably just about make this out in the very first picture.

And below are a few video clips of me applying the shield. It was a rather time consuming process and it wasn’t all that easy to position the shield in exactly the right spot, specially so with the main top and bottom shield. But with a bit of patience and perseverance, one will eventually get it right.

If you are planning to apply a shield to your iPod, I would highly recommend that you watch the demo video from shieldzone.com first. Also, make sure you have a lint free cloth handy. Kitchen towels or kleenex tissues just won’t do it: They will only get stuck permanently to your shield or leave some debris on it. The cloth featured in the above video was an optical cleaning cloth from Jessops which I also happen to use for my glasses and my camera lens.

If you find that there are some stubborn bubbles hiding under the shield after you’ve applied it, I would suggest peeling it back off immediately and reapplying (assuming you have enough of the spray solution left).

But if you are left with small bubbles, no need to worry because those will sort themselves out after the drying process, usually after 24 hours. But it can sometimes take up to 72 hours for the shield to fully set itself.

Entry Filed under: Gadgets

15 Comments Add your own

• 1. Eric  |  December 16th, 2006 at 3:32 am

I was wondering if you found you had more than enough spray solution left afterwards and if the spray solution and that little plastic rectangle came with the shield.

• 2. Ash  |  December 17th, 2006 at 2:32 am

Eric, I found that there was JUST enough spray solution for the application. If you are worried about running out of the solution however, you can simply order an extra spray for an extra $1.

And yes, the little plastic rectangle (aka the squeegee) came with the shield.

Hope this helps,
    ash

• 3. Ben Christian  |  January 17th, 2007 at 11:31 am

Thanks for posting this.

It seems a little odd that the corners are left exposed; that’s were most of the scratches tend to appear on my devices. Apart from that it looks great. I’m hoping there is a full body sheild for the imate JasJam…

• 4. Ash  |  January 17th, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, shame about the corners being left exposed.

About a full body shield for the i-mate, ShieldZone will get them custom made for you if they don’t already do one.

• 5. Pete  |  February 22nd, 2007 at 7:03 pm

I have been debating about whether or not to get an invisible shield because I am very worried about spraying a liquid on my new ipod. Are you sure this solution won’t harm the ipod?

• 6. Ash  |  February 22nd, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Pete, the spray is a fast drying liquid. I have personally not had any harm done to my iPod by applying the shield.

• 7. Courtney  |  March 17th, 2007 at 3:15 am

I just ordered one of these and when I got it the spray was almost completely leaked out! Thinking there might be enough, I tried and only had enough for the first 2 small pieces. Now my large piece is completely messed up because I didn’t have enough to cover front and back. I’m so frustrated because it took 2 months to ship to me and I haven’t been using my ipod at all b/c i don’t want scratches on it. Now I might have to wait another 2 months!?!? I cried.

Sorry just venting to someone who *might* care. Nice blog about it! :)

• 8. Ash  |  March 21st, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I’m sorry to hear your spray bottle leaked on its way to you. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have to wait two months for it and when it arrives you cannot even use it. I would suggest you call up ShieldZone and explain the situation. I’m quite confident they’ll send you a new spray (and covers) free of charge to make up for it. It may be worth requesting priority shipping if you need it urgently.

• 9. Garry  |  June 15th, 2007 at 10:22 pm

I’m also really worried about applying a liquid to my new 80GB iPod. I practised by ordering the shield for my old 40GB ipod photo and after i had applied the liquid the click wheel seized up!!! Should i have allowed it to dry for 24 hours or so?

• 10. Ash  |  June 16th, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Garry, I recommend you use an absorbent lint-free cloth to soak up any excess liquid after you set each piece of the shield into place.

• 11. Capn Scott  |  July 4th, 2007 at 6:56 pm

I got a little worried about the shield also… But the rep said not to use the IPod for 24 hours after install. I stored it face down on a cloth while it dried. It came out perfect. I also bought the covering for my Cobra Suunto dive computer. I noticed that the little spray bottle had no liquid in it either. I refilled it, and applied a piece of leftover shield to my watchface, and it worked fine. I highly recommend this shield…

Capn Scott

• 12. Craig  |  November 26th, 2007 at 5:30 am

What exactly is the liquid in the spray bottle, do you know? I just ordered a full body shield for my new 6g 160gig, and didn’t order another spray. I’m wondering what the fluid is to see if i can duplicate it if I run out.

• 13. Ash  |  November 26th, 2007 at 7:41 am

Craig,

I am not sure what the liquid is, they simply call it ‘application solution’. Also, it says ‘Solution is not harmful to skin, eyes, or if swallowed.’

If you need to duplicate it, the key thing to note about the liquid is that it’s fast drying. That said though, I think you may not need to worry as the invisible shields now ship with a spray bottle about twice the size of the one featured in the video above.

Hope it goes well!

• 14. Chanani  |  December 9th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I live in The Netherlands and can I get an Invisible Shield and how can I get that?

thank you.

• 15. Ash  |  December 9th, 2007 at 10:48 pm

You can order direct from www.shieldzone.com

They ship internationally.